Sunday, October 28, 2007

Weekend review roundup

Young Frankenstein
Mel Brooks and the creative dream team behind the record-setting musical version of "The Producers" is back on Broadway, and along with their own impressive Tony total, they've put together a cast with -- a what I think is an unprecedented -- four Tony winners, not to mention a multiple Emmy winner, in their musical version of Brooks' "Young Frankenstein." Still, despite all the special effects lightning onstage, there's just never the right electricity to give life to this primeval soup of fine ingredients. Granted, Roger Bart, who plays the title role, is currently sidelined with a rather serious injury, which no doubt throws off the balance of the show greatly, even though understudy Matthew LaBanca is giving a solid performance in his stead. Even with that in mind, however, the biggest problem with "Young Frankenstein" is that it's just more of the same. Really, how many times can the Jerome Robbins "Fiddler on the Roof" choreography be parodied? There are plenty of fun moments, many involving the always wonderful Andrea Martin as Frau Blucher. And Brooks' music is still appealing even in its repetitive simplicity. But unlike "The Producers," which strung these gags along to several "wow" moments, there's no such point in this show. Perhaps the famous scene in which the Monster (Shuler Hensley) performs "Puttin' on the Ritz" was meant to be that moment. But unlike "Springtime for Hitler," which was wonderfully reimagined to fit in with the musical, the moment here isn't that radically different than what is in the film. While it might be fun to see a favorite moment like that recreated in person, it's pretty hard to justify the bloated ticket prices they've set for this show.

Xanadu
Yeah, I've already reviewed this show. I'm revisiting it only to admit that I was wrong, wrong, wrong. A friend of mine got me onstage seating for the show this weekend, and it was a blast. Back when I reviewed it, I assumed "Xanadu" would already be halfway across the River Styx by now. But it's doing respectable business, and I say bravo to it. Not only was I wrong about the show's prospects, I was also dead wrong when I attempted to correct its mythology (and I'm surprised no one called me out on this in the comments). Paris did indeed kill Achilles, not Hector, as I tried to say. Jeez. I was a grump when I wrote that review, so consider this a slap to June Mike!

Also another fun fact: With "Young Frankenstein" in my Playbill collection, I now have one beginning with every letter of the alphabet, except for Z. Time to bring back "Zanna, Don't!" or "Zorba," folks. Or perhaps someone can write a one-person show about Zero Mostel or Zsa Zsa Gabor. I don't know whatever happened to my Playbill of "Zorro: The Musical," though.

Oh, and speaking of pointless miscellany, yet one more song is gone from the theme song candidates: Krisanthi Pappas' "Pure Imagination" medley. Gosh, I'm rooting for Jessica Molaskey now.

9 comments:

S said...

Dumb question: Would Young Frankenstein be more appealing if the tix didn't cost an arm and a leg?

Mike said...

It would be more of a value. I mean, a quarter pounder with cheese tastes fine, but not if they're selling it for $19.95.

It just kind of shows what I think is kind of a laziness behind this production. Let's throw together some stuff, bank on our past successes and charge out the wazoo for it.

And -- I'm betting it's going to work, too. I think tickets already are difficult to come by.

Esther said...

Congratulations on adding another letter to your Playbill collection. I had no idea that's what I've been working toward as I assemble my own little pile. ;-)

I'm going to see "Young Frankenstein" next Monday, and I'm trying to keep an open mind. I do love the movie. I don't think I've ever seen Jerome Robbins' "Fiddler on the Roof" choreography parodied, so it'll be new to me!

Mike said...

If you saw "The Producers," then you saw it parodied. :-)

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts as a fan of the film. I (gasp!) have never seen it in its entirety, so I obviously am coming from a very different viewpoint.

Esther said...

Well, I didn't see "The Producers" on stage, but I saw the original movie and the movie of the musical, so I guess I have seen it parodied!

It'll be interesting, because obviously I have this picture in my mind from the movie of what the characters should be like. And I loved Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Cloris Leachman, etc. It's hard to see how anyone could top them. But I'm excited!

Mike said...

Actually, that scene was a song in the musical cut for the film version, "The King of Broadway," so it'll be new to you!

Andrea Martin definitely does not disappoint in the Leachman role. I heard Wilder saw the show the other night. I wonder what he thought of it.

Amy Lynn said...

www.zerohourshow.com

DavisMcDavis said...

That's a fun idea - I want to alphabetize my Playbills! And I went to see Zanna, Don't! so I may very well have an alphabet in there...maybe. (I'm not recalling a Q, for example, so perhaps I've already lost. Hmm....)

Mike said...

My only "Q" was "The Quantam Eye."

The word "the" doesn't count, right?