Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Time to move?

First, my landlord goes bankrupt. Now it seems the people who have taken temporary control of the building aren't much better.

I had what my mother would call a panic moment today, when I had a lovely letter waiting for me from conEdison. It seems the temporary owners have not paid an almost $900 security deposit on the bill. Brava! What frightened me was the warning the they would be cutting off power in November should this not be rectified. I was actually on the line waiting for a conEdison customer service rep, ready to demand to know how they could cut off my power when I've been paying my bills on time, when I read the letter closer. They were just talking about power in the common areas of the building. So, our security system might not be working anymore, and I might be climbing six flights of the stairs in the dark, but at least I'll have power when I get home.

This, however, does not bode well. Combined with the impossibility of getting anyone to come out for repairs, I'm thinking the end of my lease might be time to cut and run. Anybody got any good apartment leads?

6 comments:

kb. said...

I know of an apartment on the UES that's opening up...I'm moving to the East Village at the end of the month!

Mike said...

Ooh, fab! I'm sure it won't still be around in February, unfortunately.

Rebel Yankee said...

Mike, you know there are plenty up in our neck of the woods!
Also, I'm curious who the "new" management company is. There's a particularly bad one uptown who are notorious for doing things like that. They did it in my old apartment in the 150s and we stopped paying rent. I lived rent-free for about 4 months before finally bailing on the lease.

Mike said...

Marin, I think, is its name.

R said...

There are lots of reasonable apartments in Austin, Mike!

Mike said...

See the previous post. Austin already has a Michael Baker!