Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Broken-down cyborg

So, San Francisco was fantastic, but more on that later. I came home incomplete! No, I didn't leave my heart in San Francisco, but I did leave my cell phone in my chauffeured car on the way home. And it's disturbing. And the most disturbing aspect is that the biggest drawback to losing my cell phone is NOT that I no longer have the ability to make calls on the fly. In fact, that's ranked pretty near the bottom.

First, I've discovered I have no memory for phone numbers anymore. None. I know three numbers by memory that are stored in that phone: my parents, my sister Cheryl and my friend from Houston *and San Francisco travel companion) Kristina. Not included on that list are some close friends, two other sisters and my own home phone number. That's right. I've never even committed my home phone number to memory. When I called the car service to see if I could get my phone back, they asked me at what number they could reach me. I blanked and had to give them my work number.

What's more, if I had to get a new phone, I would also lose a long list of phone numbers of people whom I never want to talk to again -- see any of my date stories on here for an example. The chance of those people popping out of the woodwork again to call me is pretty slim, but it's not as slim as the chance of me actually recognizing the phone number should that happen. That's why I never erase a phone number.

That's not all that's stored on that phone, either. There are tons of photos I've never backed up. Most of them are garbage, anyway, but there are a few of a, let's just say, delicate nature.

My subway ride seemed a lot longer this morning. The Yahtzee game I have on it is mindless and not very challenging even on the hardest setting. Yet, that mindless activity keeps me distracted and prevents me from making eye contact with the crazies on the A train.

I also no longer have any judgment of time. Ever since I was a kid, probably because my wrists were so small, I never wore a watch. My cell phone became my watch. I almost had to ask a stranger for the time this morning.

Fortunately, the driver has found my phone, and I should be getting it back soon. Perhaps even tonight. But how terrifying how much I rely on that little device. And if had been my iPod that I had left behind, I'd have called in sick today.

6 comments:

Rebel Yankee said...

Well, I'm glad I caught the happy ending of this story! I would be dead without my phone's memory list, too...but I've got one of those wacky PDAs that backs up to OUtlook, so unless my phone disappears at the same time my computer dies and is irreparable, I should be ok.

R said...

I could have written this post! I hate having a cell phone, but since it is the only phone I have, it's bearable.

I do have an old cell phone that uses the same card as my current phone and occasionally I back up my numbers to that phone's internal memory and keep all the numbers in my "active" phone on the card so I can have a back-up in case of catastrophe.

Angela said...

Eek! I, too, have small wrists and do not wear watches. I don't believe I've ever had that in common with anyone before. This is a momentous occasion!

Mike said...

We are soulmates!

Anonymous said...

Hey, count me in. My watch broke a few years ago, and ever since I've only had the cell-phone clock. And here's where I'm a luddite. I don't have any phone numbers programmed on my cell phone. It has a camera, but I don't know how to use it. And I don't know how to text-message either. So there! But I am glad you got yours back!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. How was the view from Twin Peaks? The hills, not the bar.