Wednesday, October 10, 2007

At last, my right arm is complete again!

Within an hour of my post last night, my poor little cell phone was returned safely home. The battery even still appeared to be fully charged. For this, I am forever indebted to the driver, whose name I don't even know.

When I reported the phone missing, the dispatcher told me I had two options: Wait until the phone was returned to headquarters so they could messenger it to me, or I could have the driver return it to me, paying for the ride as if the cell phone were a passenger. Once the driver was contacted, however, he returned it to me, at my apartment, directly, and didn't charge me a dime.

I knew I had to give him something. Unfortunately, I wasn't carrying much cash last night. I gave him $10, which is about the same amount as the tip would have been. I also tried to give him a nice bottle of wine I picked up in San Francisco, but he said he didn't drink. I also shot off a nice letter to his company commending him for what he had done. I wish I could do more, but I'm at a loss as to what.

But as his lasting legacy -- I've finally added a counter to my "dumb people" blog post label.

3 comments:

S said...

Even though I am not attached to my cell phone, if I ever lost it, I'd lose it, too.

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

What a relief. It's funny (sad?) how dependent we are on these things ... but we ARE!

Scarlett said...

Where does "at last my arm is complete again" come from? I've heard it in Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd, but it rings a bell...