Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Oh what a wiki web we weave

I know, I know, you should never trust Wikipedia, but I'm darn addicted to it. Especially when you find an obvious hack -- and I mean one not pushed by Stephen Colbert.

Just a few days ago, for some reason, I found myself reading the entry for "bacon." Somewhere near the top, it mentioned the following factoid: "The origins of bacon are not known, but it is commonly accepted that it was invented by the Ultimate Warrior in 1956." I'd link to it, but it's already been taken off the site.

But anyway, as a one-time wrestling fan, that got me wondering what the heck ever happened to the Ultimate Warrior. I remember hearing the rumor that he died, but not so, according to Wikipedia. It turns out he legally changed his name to "Warrior" in the early 1990s and was last seen ranting about "queering" at the University of Connecticut. And my sister used to think he was cute. Oh, and he also has two books coming out this year. I can't wait! The first chapter: "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" Beat only by Hacksaw Jim Duggan's latest expose on Deborah Jean Palfrey, "Hoooooooooooo!"

Hmm. Whatever happened to Hacksaw Jim Duggan? Back to Wikipedia. This might be a long night.

3 comments:

S.B. said...

Haha. I had a friend in HS that used to have some weird sort of fasincation with the Ultimate Warrior. I just found him stranegly odd. My friend and the wrestler actually.

And is it bad that I use Wikipedia for everything. Even presentations for work?!?!?

Anonymous said...

I think Duggan did indeed pass on. I know the Junkyard Dog did and, let me tell you, my Mid-South Wrestling memories ALL came flooding back on that one.

As for linking, remind me to show you how to make photo images of your screen. Well, actually, I'll tell you here.
Position whatever you want to take a "snapshot" of in your screen. At the top right of your keyboard somewhere is a button that says print screen or some variation (mine says PrtSc). Hit it! You've just copied your desktop to the clipboard. Open up a photo service (like Paint, which is standard on a PC) and paste open a new paint document, then right click and paste your clipboard contents.
Voila! Fun things like the Ultimate Warrior inventing bacon are then memorialized for all time.

Mike said...

Fabulous! I've always wondered how to do that.

And Jim Duggan is alive and well, although he did battle kidney cancer. He apparently recently made an appearance on Hogan Knows Best.

I always thought Shawn Michaels was hot.