Tuesday, May 29, 2007

If I were a doctor, I'd be Lilith Sternin

Every once in a while, I have to step back and wonder if I've become too icy and detached. You know, like when the announcement comes over the subway intercom that you're being delayed for a sick passenger, and the first thought that goes through your head is not "Gee, I hope this person is alright" but "How dare this decrepit idiot get on a public train and screw up everyone's commute?"

Flying back to Houston last week, as I was walking to my seat on my already late flight, as passenger boarding the plane behind me passed out. Frantic flight attendants asked whether a doctor was on board. Unlike most of the other passengers who were craning to gawk at the proceedings, I pushed my way to my seat and started to read the in-flight magazine. After all, I'm not a doctor. The fainting individual was not an acquaintance of mine. Therefore, my best contribution to the situation seemed to be to stay the hell out of the way. And, of course, it did cross my mind as to how this would further affect my travel plans.

As it turns out, the person was fine. I couldn't tell you if the person was a man or a woman, old or young or whatever, though. I stayed out of it. And I'd really forgotten about it until now, but now in retrospect, it bothers me a bit that it didn't bother me at the time. Does that make me a terrible person?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say no, it doesn't make you a bad person. I hate gawkers and rubberneckers and would say they're far worse.

Swanny said...

Yes. I spoke to the Baby Jesus just this morning and he confirmed that you are indeed going to Hell. The good news is that it has nothing to do with your airline manners. He said it all ties in to a backwoods date gone bad and the sacrifice of several sheep and a virgin or two be the aggrieved party (that would not be you, Slim Jim).

Mike said...

In that case, I can continue my downward spiral without fear of further repercussions!

S said...

Whenever there's an "illness" on the subway, the first thing I think of is a) I better not be late, and b) I hope a doctor shows up soon because I don't wanna be late.