Sunday, May 13, 2007

If I ran the Tonys

I'm postponing my usual weekend review roundup to throw in who I'd like to see nominated when the Tonys are announced this Tuesday. Quick disclaimer: As indicated in the title of this post, I'm not paying attention to Tony rulings about who is featured/leading and am really not able to say much about the things I didn't see. This is completely based on my firsthand theatre-going experiences. Some categories are short, but I'd rather leave it short than throw in something that I haven't seen -- which includes "Legally Blonde," "Coram Boy," "Translations," "Heartbreak House," "Radio Golf," "A Moon for the Misbegotten" and "The Year of Magical Thinking." Please also note that the omission of "Losing Louie" and "High Fidelity" is in spite of me actually seeing those shows. And, to keep it concise, I'm sticking with the acting and overall categories. So here we go:

Best Featured Actor, Play
Billy Crudup, The Coast of Utopia
Johnny Galecki, The Little Dog Laughed
Ethan Hawke, The Coast of Utopia
John Mahoney, Prelude to a Kiss
Stark Sands, Journey's End

Best Featured Actor, Musical
John Cullum, 110 in the Shade
Gavin Lee, Mary Poppins
David Pittu, LoveMusik

Best Featured Actress, Play
Amy Irving, The Coast of Utopia
Martha Plimpton, The Coast of Utopia

Best Featured Actress, Musical
Alisan Porter, A Chorus Line
Mary Louise Wilson, Grey Gardens
Karen Ziemba, Curtains

Best Leading Actor, Play
Hugh Dancy, Journey's End
Boyd Gaines, Journey's End
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Christopher Plummer, Inherit the Wind
Liev Schreiber, Talk Radio

Best Leading Actor, Musical
Michael Cerveris, LoveMusik
Raul Esparza, Company
Hadley Fraser, The Pirate Queen (Yes, I said it -- this is in spite of his show)
David Hyde Pierce, Curtains
Martin Short, Fame Becomes Me

Best Leading Actress, Play
Julie White, The Little Dog Laughed

Best Leading Actress, Musical
Kristin Chenoweth, The Apple Tree
Christine Ebersole, Grey Gardens
Debra Monk, Curtains
Donna Murphy, LoveMusik
Audra McDonald, 110 in the Shade

Best Revival of a Play
Journey's End
Inherit the Wind
Talk Radio

Best Play
The Coast of Utopia (all three parts)
Frost/Nixon
Jay Johnson: The Two and Only
The Little Dog Laughed

Best Revival of a Musical
110 in the Shade
The Apple Tree
A Chorus Line
Company

Best Musical
Curtains
Grey Gardens
LoveMusik
Mary Poppins
Spring Awakening

My lead actress in a play category is really weak, but that's because I haven't seen the shows ("Heartbreak House," "Moon..." and "Deuce," which I see Tuesday) that most of the current favorites are in. All I'll say is that if Julie White doesn't get the nomination, that's a travesty. Toughest categories? Leading actress in a musical and leading actor in a play. There are several whom I would like to include but didn't, including Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy and Lea Michele.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My lead actress in a play category is really weak, but that's because I haven't seen the shows ("Heartbreak House," "Moon..." and "Deuce," which I see Tuesday)

And you're not including "Year.." why?

Mike said...

I haven't seen that either. It's on my list -- particularly now that they're doing rush.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mike, Where was Lea Michele when you saw Spring Awakening?

Mike said...

Oh, she was in it, but it was a toss-up whether I was to include her or Monk. And really, if I had been true to my original concept, I would have bumped Monk down to a supporting nod and given her the fifth slot.

And I just realized that I left out Billy Crudup. For shame!