Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How my Tony wish list fared

As it turns out, my picks didn't do too badly. The only ones not to get a nomination were:

"LoveMusik" for best musical
Hugh Dancy for lead actor in a play (he definitely deserved it over Brian F. O'Byrne, I'd say)
Martin Short and Hadley Fraser for lead actor in a musical (Fraser was beyond a long-shot, anyway)
Kristin Chenoweth for lead actress in a musical
Alisan Porter for lead actress in a musical (another long shot, as I knew they'd go with Charlotte d'Amboise if they went with anyone)
Amy Irving for featured actress in a play (and in retrospect, I should have included Jennifer Ehle on my list anyway)
John Mahoney and Johnny Galecki for featured actor in a play (I haven't seen "Radio Golf" yet, so I can't complain)

Also, both Gavin Lee and "Jay Johnson: The Two and Only" were on my list and were nominated, but not in the categories I would have put them in. Perhaps someday there will be some sort of understandable criteria for what makes a special event. Even better, this is good to prioritize my show-seeing plans in the coming weeks. I obviously need to see "Radio Golf" and "Coram Boy" and have no need to hurry to "A Moon for the Misbegotten."

All in all, not a bad year, though. A great mix of shows, nothing too dominant among the nominees and no horribly glaring oversights. I'm certainly looking forward to June 10!

3 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Lots of fun reading your earlier prediction list. Now you'll have to tell us your top picks for Tonys!

Mike said...

I will a bit closer to time. Perhaps I'll actually have seen a few others by then!

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Looking forward to it. Be sure to vote in my current four polls, too!