Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Why I live in New York

First of all, a hearty congrats to Southern Boy for marking his first year of official blogdom yesterday (and happy birthday to my one-weekend dog Xander today). It also made me realize that yesterday was exactly one year after I started my current job here in New York, which got me thinking over the benefits I've reaped since moving here:

1) I've lost somewhere between 30 and 40 pounds. I've never really been overweight per se, but a few years of lethargy in South Jersey and Texas had put a few extra blobs on me in unpleasant places. By and large, those are gone now. Part of it was an overhaul to my diet this summer and cutting down on sodas, no doubt. Most of the credit, however, can be attributed to the facts that I have to walk about a mile and a half every day just for commuting purposes, that I live in a six-story walkup and that I no longer grocery shop as if I'm stockpiling for a nuclear winter, which would be impossible for a guy who can't afford weekly delivery services.

2) I now have more non-coworkers friends than I've had since my college years. Making good friends outside of the office as an adult is quite difficult when you move to a new city, but it seems to be much easier here. On a related note, I've also been able to date a lot more, and it's easier to avoid drunken karaoke maulers and under-the-table pot deals at IHOP.

3) I've been able to see more theatre, concerts, cabaret acts and comedy shows in the last year than I probably have in my lifetime up to this point. What's more, I rarely have to pay full price anymore, now that I don't have to plan far ahead in my theatre-going. And, when I see a clunker, it doesn't feel like I've wasted anything more than a couple of bucks and a few hours, rather than an entire day trip.

4) Always having plenty else to do, I've watched less television than I ever have in my entire life. I couldn't tell you a thing about any new shows that debuted this season. And I'm rather happy with that ignorance.

5) Random celebrity encounters no longer impress me, although I will admit it was kind of fun seeing Al Sharpton through the window of some tobacco shop in midtown last weekend.

I could go on -- and I could also mention that I've paid more in rent than I did my entire three or fours years for housing in Texas that was not supported by parents or scholarships -- but that's enough rationalization for now to convince me that I should, indeed, stay here for a while.

6 comments:

Cameron Kelsall said...

Where did you live in SJ, if you don't mind my asking?

-Cameron
(Originally from LBI)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on YOUR one year work anniversary! It's exciting, eh? I'm telling you, having spent a year at my job as a temp and now a year employed full-time, it is odd to me how comfortable I feel in a "desk job."
oh, by the way, I cannot believe you have lost nearly 40 pounds. How is there anything left of you?!?

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Congratulations on your first full year in the Big Apple. I enjoyed your tidbit about Al Sharpton - that would have made me take notice!

Mike said...

Cameron, I lived in the Atlantic City area -- both Margate and Somers Point for a short while. I worked for The Press of Atlantic City, so I had to do a few stories from LBI, in fact.

Cameron Kelsall said...

Very cool. I always read At The Shore...there are no good theatres near me so I'd have to drive to the Tilton to see independent movies or drive to the Ritz in Voorhees. So glad I moved to NYC...

S said...

Congrats on the first year of blogdom.

And, I can't get over the fact that you lost so much weight (and kept it off). That's an accomplishment in itself.