Monday, February 26, 2007

Jennifer Holliday, too!

I mentioned, when the Oscar nominations came out, how I had seen virtually none of the nominated films. Well, although I've still yet to see any of the best picture nominees, I did squeeze in a few movies between then and last night.

Unfortunately, looking back over the list of winners this morning, I realized that I had seen only two movies that actually won an Oscar. One was "An Inconvenient Truth." The other? "Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest." Jerry Seinfeld's fresh-ten-years-ago riff was one of the most recognizable aspects of the evening to me. I haven't felt this out-of-touch since being subjected to the very, er, hetero-centric comedy stylings of Joe Rogan.

In other words, me watching the Oscars last night was about the equivalent if I had watched the Tonys last year after seeing only "Tarzan" and "Bridge and Tunnel." Yet I did anyway. And for the record, I've seen neither "Tarzan" nor "Bridge and Tunnel." Now I have a headache.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I felt out of it this year, too. Of the Best Picture nominees, I'd only seen Little Miss Sunshine and Babel. (But, I did see Dreamgirls)

You should definitely see Little Miss Sunshine. It is a great little movie. And Babel? Well, let's just say that when The Departed was announced as Best Picture, I was greatly relieved that the overrated, annoying Babel didn't take home the Oscar.

Mike said...

Little Miss Sunshine is available on-demand on my cable, so perhaps I'll check it out this weekend.

And I've heard similar talk about Babel. I've yet to meet anyone who actually liked it.

Anonymous said...

Aww, Mike, I was REALLY looking forward to your review of Tarzan's manliness.

Anonymous said...

Except that even more overrated The Departed, a B- movie, won, and Babel was at least as good as Crash, not that that puts it above B+, but still.