Friday, August 24, 2007

Teetering over the edge

So, tomorrow is my 29th birthday -- or, as my father would quickly point out, the beginning of my 30th year. Whatever. I mean, I might as well be 30, anyway, because no one ever believes you when you say you're 29.

Still, even though no one really looks forward to birthdays past the age of 21, I at least have a little more reason to appreciate it in adulthood than I did as a kid. The Aug. 25 date meant that although presents were coming, so was school (or, as Texas kept pushing the school start date further and further up in the early 90s, that school had already started). In fact, I had the distinction of being born on the first day of school, giving my youngest sister, who wasn't too thrilled with the aspect of losing her baby-of-the-family status, another reason to hate the day.

Now, however, summer is more of a nuisance than anything else. Sure, it's nice to get out to the beach or a pool for a few days. But mostly, it just means more sweat, more bugs and nightly block parties. Fall and winter bring better fashion choices, more holidays, lower electric bills and marginally fewer tourists.

So, at least now I can be comforted with my birthday by knowing I can box up the fan for another year. Except next year. I plan on being far, far out of the country for that birthday.

6 comments:

S said...

Shit. Your b-day coincided with the start of school? And, I thought mine was a crappy day because it was in the middle of winter.

Oh, and keep the fan out, just in case there's a rash heatwave (which there always is in September).

Valerie said...

That's funny. My June 7 birthday always corresponded with the start of summer, which was great as a kid but kind of sucks now. Summer is, as you said, sweat and bugs. Ugh.

But...happy birthday!

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Happy Birthday! Hope it's a great one. And remember this: Life really gets going at 30 (so you still have another year to go).

Anonymous said...

It only get's better from here on oiut!

Kim said...

Try having a birthday 3 days before Christmas. I seldom had a my own birthday party--usually had one earlier in the month with my younger sister whose birthday was early in December. Also, the older I got, the more likely that I only got joint birthday-Christmas gifts, which really sucks.

Yeah, we all have something to complain about. ;-)

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

S.B. said...

Mike - happy belated birthday. Hope you had lots and lots of drinks.