Sunday, August 12, 2007

More vacation slides

I was going to review the show I saw today, but it was so awful, I don't ever want to think about it again. Instead, I'll show off a few photos from my very brief trip to Mexico City last week (as usual, click to enlarge):

This was in Zocalo, the central square in Mexico City. Although there's quite a lot to see there -- government buildings, a lovely cathedral and a giant flag -- I decided instead to show some guy selling food. I did eat some of that pepper-covered candy that I haven't had since I was a child in Texas, and I'm proud to say, I'm able to finish it, now.

This is a sunstone, or a Mayan calendar, at Mexico's National Museum of Anthropology. My only regret from hearing about these fascinating cultures of Central America is it makes me remember how dull my own ancestors were. I think they caught fish or something.

The quality sucks, but this is from the Ballet Folklorico de Mexico. Even after a 6 a.m. flight (meaning a 3 a.m. wake-up, which was actually 2 a.m. Central Time), this managed to keep me captivated. Even more fascinating was that I was even allowed to take this photo, but apparently photography was allowed. The flashbulbs were a bit distracting after a while.

The highlight of the trip to me, however, was visiting Frida Kahlo's house. They recently -- meaning a few years ago -- opened a bathroom that had been locked for decades, a door Frida herself had requested remain shut for a certain period of time. Once opened, it had all sorts of letters, drawings and photographs stored inside. Some bathroom reading! They're still going through and preserving all the documents.

1 comment:

Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Cool. I went to Costa Rica recently, put some pics on my blog last month.