Thursday, January 25, 2007

RIP: My cultural relevance

Well, it finally happened. The Oscar nominations have come out, and I have seen not one movie nominated for best picture. This has not happened since I acquired my driver's license.

Oh, I had every intention of seeing "The Queen," but I never got around to it. The same with "Little Miss Sunshine." The others I had heard middling things about and were even less a priority.

The most heralded movie I have seen this year, in fact, was "An Inconvenient Truth." I saw "The Good Shepherd" while at my parents' during the holidays and "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" both as in-flight movies. That's it. In fact, and I stand a good chance of permanently losing my gay card for this, I've not even seen "Dreamgirls" yet.

I don't even have a "movies" tag for this blog yet. I'm having to add one for this post.

I saw movies all the time in Texas and in New Jersey, but now that I live in New York, I just never go. My dates never seem to want to go there, and I feel more conspicuous going to movies alone here than I did in the styx. At any rate, I'd better catch up fast or risk looking like that crotchety old man who longs for the days of the code before I attend the Oscar party to which I've been invited. I have to fly back to Texas briefly next month, so who knows? Maybe "Letters From Iwo Jima" will be my in-flight movie.

I know I'm a few days late in even commenting on the Oscars. Somehow, that seems appropriate this year.

3 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mike, I'm lucky I went to Australia. Both Little Miss Sunshine and The Queen were shown incessantly on those long-haul flights. But those are the only two I've seen.

Cameron Kelsall said...

"Little Miss Sunshine" and "The Departed" are the only BP must-sees, IMO. I didn't care for "Babel", found "Iwo Jima" completely overrated, and while I liked "The Queen", I found it to be a glorified BBC movie.

Non-BP nominated films also worth catching: "Notes on a Scandal", "Pan's Labyrinth", and "Volver".

Anonymous said...

Am I pleased to find someone who's even a bigger non-film person than I? Yes, yes I am. :-)