Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Only u can prevent frawd

It seems the phishers have moved away from PayPal and ebay and are now misrepresenting Amazon. I received this gem in my work inbox this morning:

At the last reviewing at your amazon account we discovered that your information is inaccurate. We apologize for this but because most frauds are possible because we don't have enough information about our clients, we require this verification. Please login and reenter your personal information.

Please follow this link to update your personal information:
Link removed by moi

(To complete the verification process you must fill in all the required fields)

Please note: If you don't update your information within next 48 hours , we will be forced to suspend your account untill you have the time to contact us by phone.

We apreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep amazon market a safe place to trade. Thank you for your attention on this serious matter and we apologize.

Regards,
Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO


Wow! Not only does Jeff Bezos personally send out every mundane email about every account, but he also misspelled "appreciate," writes like Borat talks, didn't capitalize his company's name and even invented a new name for it: "amazon market." I'd sell off all my Amazon stock, but I have to admit that it's also pretty amazing that they managed to find me at my work address, since that's not even the one I use for my Amazon account.

Honestly, anyone who falls for phishing schemes now doesn't deserve to have a computer. Or money.

3 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

And to think people still fall for them! Appreciate the alert. Now if I could just get those e-mails from Nigeria and environs to stop.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mike - I literally just received a message from a supposed MySpace account saying that I had a new message there. Only problem is that the e-mail address it came in on is not the one I use with MySpace. I understand from reading MySpace that phishing is occurring there as well and that people have been going to a dummy page and inserting there MySpace account information and enabling phishers to pick it up.

Mike said...

If they were smart, they'd start phishing the Andy Griffith Fan Club, because somehow, I think that's about the only target demographic left who might fall for this.