Friday, January 12, 2007

Patricia Heaton revisited

The reviews for "The Scene" came out yesterday, and they were mostly positive -- the ones that mattered at least. The New York Times, Newsday, the Daily News and the New York Post all leaned positive on it, largely praising the acting while quibbling a bit about the play itself. A couple of theater Web sites had the most overtly negative reviews, although those reviews will have about as much impact on ticket sales as mine.

I bring this up again only because I noticed today that my dinky little review made it onto Patricia Heaton's (unofficial) Web site (scroll to the "according to the blogosphere" spot near the bottom). Ah, legitimacy!

In addition, there was a rather interesting New York Times article on Heaton a few weeks back that got a bit more into the political question. I, for one, didn't realize that the infamous stem cell ad -- which she wasn't that thrilled with anyway -- was not done directly as a response to Michael J. Fox's. As it turns out, her views might be a little more nuanced than what some think, which really shouldn't be all that surprising. I mean, when an entire news channel can boil down Nancy Pelosi's agenda into "trying to turn America into San Francisco," it's clear that understanding nuance is largely dead.

Here's another Patricia Heaton story that really doesn't have anything to do with her directly. When I was working for The Facts in Texas, I was assigned a feature section piece on the kids from "Everybody Loves Raymond." They had family who lived in Brazoria County and were in town for the holidays. All sweet, unpretentious kids. The twins, like their television counterparts, were understandably much more interested in their toys than talking to me. But Madylin, the older girl, was already consummate professional even at the young age. During our conversation, Madylin and her mother spoke rather highly of Heaton and how motherly she was to the kids on the set.

At any rate, this is all enough anecdotal evidence to convince me that Patricia Heaton is good people. So lay off her, my fellow libs! Or at least be a bit kinder in your barbs.

And I'm sure she'll sleep much better with this endorsement.

4 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I'm with you on that one. The New York Times piece gave me a greater appreciation for Patricia Heaton.

Also, there's a dangerous point when the extreme far left intersects directly with the extreme far right when it comes to trying to shut people up. Either way, it's pure fascism, and as proponents of the arts and free speech, we must be very careful who we try to censor lest they try to do the same to us.

Mike said...

Indeed. Because what makes us different than those yokels holding Dixie-Chick-CD-burning parties?

Good breeding, that's what! :-)

Cameron Kelsall said...

I'm a little perturbed...my review was much more positive than yours, and I was shut out from her fansite. The nerve! :)

At least I'm appreciated over on the Jennifer Ehle blog.

Unknown said...

And she's really nice to her fans!