Thursday, January 03, 2008

Farewell, independence

I forgot to mention yesterday that I'm now officially a New Yorker. And also officially a Democrat.

Yes, just before leaving for the holidays, I finally got around to getting my New York driver's license, simultaneously registering to vote. Apparently, to vote in the primaries here, you have to be registered in a particular party. And there's no way I'm going to allow an R by my name.

I haven't made up my mind yet about my choice, though. I'm watching Barack Obama give his victory speech in Iowa as I type this, and he's still probably my top choice. Yeah, there was that whole ex-gay Gospel singer thing, but--as I apparently never blogged on my thoughts about that--my end feeling about the situation is that it was the singer who was compromising, not Obama. John Edwards just creeps me out sometimes with that Joel Osteen vibe. Hillary Clinton could still change my mind again, and I'd love to see those Clinton-hating veins pop out of the Limbaugh et al foreheads over the next four to eight years. The rest would just be a wasted vote. This is coming from someone who voted for Bill Bradley in the 2000 Democratic primary in Texas.

As for Mike Huckabee? Well, he turns my stomach a lot less than Mitt Romney. I'll give him that. Considering he once called for the quarantine of AIDS patients, this says a lot more about Romney than it does about Huckabee. Plus, Limbaugh and Ann Coulter hate him, so there's a plus.

I guess there could be one silver lining to a Huckabee presidency. It's a lining about the width of a cell wall, but a lining, still. Finally there would have been a U.S. president who shared my name. You know, since that homophobic, doltish dwarf from Massachusetts blew his chance back in 1988.

5 comments:

R said...

I'm still struggling with the decision about who to support; however, it may not be an issue by the time the Texas primary rolls around this year.

I know who I think is the smartest.

I know who I think would be best for the country following Bush.

I know who I trust the most.

The problem is they are not the same person or even in the same party.

Valerie said...

Mike Huckabee is scary. I think he wants a theocracy. Some of his closest friends, donors and advisers are extremely right-wing Christians, including one who is a Christian Reconstructionist, a group on that wants the United States to be governed by Biblical law, including that women belong in the home and homosexuality should be completely criminalized.

Just my two cents.

Yenta Center said...

Rusty, I'm struggling with the same thing....

Mike, there is some underlying "slickness" about Obama that just doesn't sit well with me - even though I think he has some good theories, I'm not convinced about him. For me, having Oprah stump for him did more harm than good (for me personally).

Mike said...

I think Bill Richardson is probably the smartest guy in the race and the one who could probably do the best job of cleaning up our international relations. Yeah, he made a dope of himself in the Logo debate, but I think that event was kind of a farce, anyway.

As for Obama's slickness -- it hasn't bothered me, but maybe that's because I'm just blinded by the oilfield that is Mitt Romney.

Mary Ruth said...

How about a Clinton/Richardson ticket? Would that work?