Sunday, January 27, 2008

A brighter week

Many thanks to those of you who left the kind thoughts in comments or elsewhere. Since I broached it, the full story is that my father had his bladder and prostate removed (my oldest sister keeps calling it a prostrate, but I've given up trying to correct her) after they found and removed and orange-sized tumor off of the bladder late last year. Not to get too graphic, but they had to remove the tumor through the penis bit by bit, which, well, I've probably lost all male readers at this point.

At any rate, he made it through the surgery fine last week, but as Sophia Petrillo said, "No one looks good after surgery." Like many older patients after surgery, there were some delusion problems, which is a difficult thing to see. At one point in time, he was convinced he was in Louisiana at an LSU game. When I called to check in last night, however, I got the good news that he was passing gas. Yes, that's good news, because it means the intestines are active again and that he can eat again. And with food back in him, he's doing much, much better, and with the morphine cut down, the delusional spells are pretty much gone. And he might be able to go home sometime this week. So things are looking good at this point.

Honestly, though, I've been in so many conversations about bodily functions in the past few weeks that I feel like I'm in a Rob Schneider film. My three sisters and I were in the Best Western near St. Luke's in Houston, eating breakfast and talking loudly about urostomy bags and all sorts of other unseemly things that we barely even noticed the lone, horrified other woman trying to eat in the breakfast room. Hope she enjoyed her biscuits and gravy.

6 comments:

S said...

"Not to get too graphic, but they had to remove the tumor through the penis bit by bit, which, well, I've probably lost all male readers at this point."

No, but I'm crossing my legs right now.

Mike said...

This whole situation has made it my goal to make it through life without ever requiring catheterization.

Rebel Yankee said...

I'm so glad to hear good news. I was thinking about you through the entire weekend you were home...and I'm SO very glad I finished eating about 15 minutes ago.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Mike, My heart goes out to you and your family, but I'm happy that the news is good. here's wishing nothing but the best for your father.

Random Thinker said...

Sorry I didn't read your post from last week about your dad, otherwise i would've wished him and the rest of your family well. I am glad he's recovering and hope he continues to improve and maintain his spirit.

I also hope you get some downtime to recover, recharge, destress and relax.

Mary Ruth said...

Mike,
I did not know about your father.
Hope everything is better. If I can do anything for you here in BC, please let me know.
Your visit was a highlight of the past season. Family visits have slowed down for now. Since Mama is here with me, this house becomes the gathering place.
Take care.
Mary Ruth