Friday, November 03, 2006

One last letter to the editor

I need to stop this, because letters to the editor are almost too fertile a source for commentary, but I can't help myself, so here's one more. Background: A kid got in trouble for wearing some sort of Confederate memorabilia to his school in Alvin, Texas, aka Nolan Ryan's hometown.

Student has a right to display Confederate symbol at school

Marshall Alexander, keep up the good fight. If people can wear their “MLK “shirts to school or anywhere else, you have the right to where the Confederate Flag under the First Amendment of the freedom of speech and expression.
They preach freedom; the only problem is, they want it just for them and no one else. If it is legal to burn the American flag millions have died for, then it is legal to wear what you want. I am tired of other people telling me and others we shouldn’t wear something because it “offends someone.” I don’t care who is offended. If I am offended, no one will do anything about it because I am white. These “PC” types can take their Yankee ways and move north if they do (sic, I think) like the history of the South and being Southern. These school administrative types are trying to wipe the history of the South completely out of the minds of the young.
Question: How can anyone claim their ancestors were slaves if they can’t prove there ever was a Confederacy?
Marshall, if you have to, go to court and sue the school for millions for trying to restrict your Constitutional rights.

Steven Pousson, Angleton
"They"? "Them"? "These 'PC' types"? I think we know what word he really wanted to use. And if I ever have kids, I'll be sure they wear their Nazi insignias when studying World War II, because otherwise, how could we ever prove the Third Reich, and therefore the Holocaust, ever existed? I'm also glad to see those MLK shirts are still all the rage among the youngsters. Urban Outfitters has a great one, I hear.

Aside from all that, the first paragraph demonstrates something of a pet peeve on mine. A lot of people who harp on free speech really have no idea what the legal definition of it is. Namely, you do NOT have the right to wear whatever you want to school under the First Amendment. Otherwise, there would be no dress codes. Schools are not microcosms of the U.S., and there are plenty of Supreme Court rulings to back that up.

2 comments:

Swanny said...

I'll never forget the day my mother refused to let me leave the house in the Black Sabbath shirt I'd so carefully stolen from my older brother. It was a concert t-shirt and under the the tour name listed the dates and venues. Since it was Black Sabbath, the tour was titled Live Evil. My sainted mother was not about to let me leave the house and head to school where I would surely incite others to live evil. My argument that it wasn't even good grammar her way held no weight.

Swanny said...

I wonder if she's related the the swimming Rhodenbaughs of Ohio? Mark held the natinal high school 200 IM record for years, with a sick fast 1:48.974. I couldn't even do that for freestyle. Sick. Fast.

I'm more likely to wear a Hayseed Dixie shirt these days. Their covers of Black Sabbath and AC-DC are hilarious. You haven't lived until you've heard the fiddle break in Dirty Deeds.