Saturday, November 11, 2006

Et tu, Dolly?

Pam's House Blend alerted me to some recent statements by Carol Channing, as reported in the Ohio-based Gay People's Chronicle, that really seem out of character for her:

Kaizaad Kotwal: You seem to have a very large gay following. Have you ever thought about why?
Carol Channing: I don’t think about them. I’m grateful that they seem to like me. They’re terribly loyal to me. But I’m knee-deep in the Bible and you know what it says about that.
Kotwal: Alright.
Channing: Oh, dear. Is this for a gay publication? Have I offended you?
Kotwal: Yes. For the Gay People’s Chronicle. Right now, it’s really not my job to be offended or not be offended. I am just asking questions and reporting answers. I read that you have fought for gay rights. Do you think that the things gay people are fighting for are important?
Channing: I don’t think about it. If they can’t take care of their own problems, why should I bother. It’s not my problem.
Channing's on record of being against gay marriage, but the "I don't care anything about them" attitude is quite contrary to her statements and actions in the past. Maybe it's the new hubby? Or maybe, sad to say, Carol's just losing it. I saw her show at Feinstein's at the Regency about a year ago, and while it was an enjoyable show, she had a difficult time getting through it. She had to be cued several times when telling her own personal anecdotes.

Come back to us, Carol! What happened to the fiery dame who made Richard Nixon's enemies list?

Oh, and the theme song choice list is down to three, as Jessica Molaskey's "Sail Away" came up yesterday. "Mount Zion" is still in the running, Mr. Mambo!

No comments: