Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thank you, "Thank you, church of Oprah"

I, unfortunately, have one of the most un-Googleable names around. It might not be John Smith, but my first name is the fourth most common name in the United States, and my last name is the 37th most common in the United States. Hell, my father's brother even named his son Michael, so I wasn't even the first Michael Baker in this generation of my family.

In fact, a quick Google search shows that I am:
1) An engineering firm
2) A sculpture studio
3) A National Scrabble Association member
4) A liability insurance claims investigation agency
5) An energy firm
6) An astronaut
7) A bike maker (how original)
8) An economics professor

And so on.

Except -- I just found out that, thanks largely to a link from Pam's House Blend and a few other helpful blogging bigwigs, at least one post of mine manages to come in as twelfth in a Google search of my name. And I'm actually fourth in the search for "lunar gemini" now.

So now, my goal is clear. I must become the most popular Michael Baker on the Internet. Or at least more so than the Scrabble dude.

6 comments:

R said...

If you write some posts about underwear, country music lyrics, and becca mann your hits will go up.

Mike said...

The better strategy is to piss off or thrill someone important, making them link to you. So -- uh -- Matt Drudge is a bitch?!

Anonymous said...

Becca Mann, yes.

My REAL name first hits on Goggle at Page 9!
Southern Boy, however, has me as the number 2 return, right after a page with the lyrics to "Southern Boy" by the Charlie Daniels Band.

Mike said...

Now, we MUST have you beating that homophobe and Sean Hannitiphile Charlie Daniels!

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Michael, speaking of how common your name is, have you tried looking it up on this site? Apparently, there are 6,828 of you in the United States alone!

Kim said...

LOL! Good luck with Google. :-)