Sunday, July 15, 2007

A hate crime on my home turf

Quite a disturbing story. It's pretty clear that the confessed killer here is bat-shit crazy in comparing himself with an Old Testament prophet. Yet, it's also clear that he has been influenced by anti-gay religious rhetoric. I'm not expecting to hear much from the folk who usually spew that venom, because in most non-Phelpsian cases, they're silent when their position is indefensible (at least until Elizabeth Vargas sends down a camera crew in order to find a way to blame the victim). Texas, amazingly enough, does have a hate crimes law that covers sexual orientation -- albeit unfortunately referred to as "sexual preference" in the law -- so here's hoping this scum has seen his last sunrise. I think the statute of limitations from my personal coverage of the office has expired, so I might add that Brazoria County does have a fantastic district attorney who will do all she can to see that happens.

There's not much else to say except for thoughts and prayers to Mr. Cummings' family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely disgusting crime, too...I hope justice is served.