Thursday, June 28, 2007

When one diva door closes...

I'm absolutely crushed. I had the opportunity dangled in my face this week to attend a private concert by Diana Ross, and then it was mercilessly yanked away from me. The concert was part of a publicity event for a certain airline (don't try to guess which one, because you never will). Unfortunately, the invitation reached my desk past the RSVP date. I'm actually calling BS on the agency planning the event, because a coworker of mine who called a full day after I did mysteriously got admitted.

No matter. Tomorrow night, I'm seeing my true diva first the first time live: Miss Nancy Wilson. No, NOT the lady from Heart!

This Nancy Wilson, unfortunately known to too many just as Denise Huxtable's mother-in-law from "The Cosby Show" and not at all to too many others. I, however, just adore her take on every song I've heard her sing: her breathy "I've Never Been to Me," her tart "Makin' Whoopee," her divine "Lush Life" and all the wonderful gems on her RSVP album, particularly "Blame it on my Youth." Albeit a few months late, she's celebrating her 70th birthday at Carnegie Hall tomorrow night, and you bet I'll be there. And perhaps Phylicia Rashad, Bill Cosby and Moses Gunn will be there to join her in a rendition of "Moody's Mood for Love." Of course, that might be much more likely were Moses Gunn actually still alive.

1 comment:

S.B. said...

I hope you had fun at the show Mike. And to be honest, yes, I thought it was the Heart lady too.