Friday, December 01, 2006

A job tailor-made for Florida State grads

Working in media, I get a lot of silly stuff from PR agencies and marketing departments trying to catch my attention. My workout clothes, in fact, consist heavily of freebie shirts sent along with a press release. My favorite is one from a certain airline boasting about its leg-room: a plain, black T-shirt with white lettering on the front that says: "Want an extra six inches?"

I've got to hand it to Four Points by Sheraton, however. They certainly got my attention by sending me a box of beer. Woo! And this was just a few months after they sent us pie.

What's better, though, was the release that went along with it. It seems the hotel is looking for a "chief beer officer" as a consultant for its best brews program. And it also seems that this is no joke, as the hotel has taken out ads in the Wall Street Journal promoting this. Quoth the release:
The world's first ever CBO will be responsible to share his or her in-depth knowledge of the wide world of beer and help cultivate, curate and promote its new Best Brews offerings at brewery tours, beer festivals and on bar stools across the country.

To be eligible, all one needs is a love for beer, a thirst-hand knowledge of this glorious libation, an interest in perks that are as tasty as beer itself and be 21 years of age or older.
Unfortunately, I'm just learning to like beer again after an extremely unfortunate incident with Old Milwaukee several years ago. Frankly, I think the fact that Old Milwaukee has touched my tongue should probably disqualify me automatically from any chief beer officer position ever. Now if there's a chief vodka officer job out there...

Oh, and truly sorry for subjecting everyone to the "thirst-hand knowledge" pun. At least I left out the part about applicants needing a "bubbly personality."

2 comments:

Swanny said...

That is SO me!!!

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Thanks for the great story!

I've passed this along to a friend of mine who is in charge of "transient business sales" for an undisclosed Four Points location. Fortunately for her, she's an expert on the fine art of beer drinking!

I dare say, having lived directly across the freeway from the Pabst Brewing Company during college in Milwaukee, I've tipped many a brewski myself!

Cheers!