Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My constitution isn't evergreen

I buckled today. Because of the outrageous pricing, I had no intention of going to see Barbra Streisand at Madison Square Garden. But I got an offer today that I couldn't resist. Yes, it's still far too much considering that I will be sitting in the nosebleeds. It was well within my budget, however, so I decided that this might be my only chance to see a tiny blur sing "Unusual Way." One who isn't Laura Benanti, that is.

So I'll get to see the much maligned Bush sketch in person tomorrow. Really, the reaction to this has been laughable. Come on. It's Barbara Streisand. Just as I would expect plenty of chest-beating and overly patriotic zeal if I were to attend a Toby Keith concert, anyone who goes to a Barbara Streisand concert -- especially one billed as a fundraiser for progressive causes -- should expect to hear her speak her mind. This isn't exactly a Dixie Chicks vs. the C&W-loving populace story, folks.

Also laughable is the hand-wringing over her "shut the fuck up" response to a heckler last night. Dick Cheney, after all, has already set up that the f-bomb is perfectly acceptable in forms of self-defense.

It should be noted that the Bush impersonator appearing with Babs is the very talented Steve Bridges. Bridges is the guy who often appears on The Tonight Show to play Bush, and he's even appeared with Bush himself at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner. Not only does he also claim to do a great Clinton, but one of the articles linked to his site also identifies him as a Republican. So who says Babs can't be bi-partisan?

At any rate, I'll post my thoughts tomorrow. I'm also catching an early preview performance of Mimi le Duck -- a new off-Broadway musical starring Annie Golden, Eartha Kitt, Tom Aldredge and Ken Jennings (of the original Sweeney Todd fame and not the Jeopardy! guy) -- on Thursday, so I'll actually have some theatre to write about for the first time in a long time.

Or anything at all, for that matter. I haven't posted since last Wednesday? How embarrassing!

No comments: