Wednesday, October 04, 2006

All it needs is a backward-talking dwarf

Moving away from politics and back into the shallow end for a while, I must get this off my chest: I just don't understand Manhattan Storage's ads. Ever.

The latest campaign is the one here. I know it's tiny, as I had to snap it from a distance. Basically, it's a couple of mullet-headed trailer park dwellers sitting on patio furniture with a big ice chest and an 80s-style boombox outside of a house, with the warning: "You're just not meant for the suburbs."

OK, first of all, who is "you" supposed be? The frightening people in the photo? If so, that's a New Yorker stereotype I'm not really familiar with, although presumably it could be about Staten Islanders, I guess.

Or is this supposed to be the suburban hell that awaits me if I leave my Manhattan paradise? Well, I hate to tell them, but if that's the best neighborhood I could find, the $29 a month for storage is probably going to be too steep for me.

Admittably, this campaign makes a bit more sense than their last one: A man who looks one of the above guys' uglier brother forlornly clutching a teddy bear with the title: "I wish I could quit you." Now obviously, although the quote is somewhat butchered and the subject would look like Heath Ledger only after a few sandpaper and acid baths, it was a reference to Brokeback Mountain. But why? Is the poor guy so heartbroken that he's going to rent an entire storage unit to save his teddy bear and perhaps a button-up shirt that reeks of a lost love?

I guess Manhattan Storage is just too abstract for me. And remember: This criticism is coming from someone who adored "Mulholland Drive."

1 comment:

Mike said...

There's another "suburbs" one where a guy is trying to beat down a beehive with a badminton racquet. So I can store beehives now?