Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Coming out all over again

Going to my 10-year reunion, I knew I had been a feature in the local rumor mill ever since my graduation. Near the end of my senior year -- a matter of days before prom, in fact -- I told my girlfriend of two years that I thought I might be gay. She almost made good on her promise not to tell anyone, but as anyone from a suburban-to-rural area knows, all it takes is one person for the rumor to catch fire. I had no idea how widespread it was until I finally came out to my mother at the age of 21, when she informed me that my fifth grade science teacher, of all people, had told her about me years earlier.

I didn't know if it would be an issue at the reunion, however. While I might be just a little flamboyant, my style has always been, at least while in Texas, to release that information only if asked. And for the first few hours of the family picnic portion of the reunion, no one did ask. Then, as I was about to leave, it happened. I started talking to someone whom I rarely talked to in high school, and in the course of the usual small talk, we had this conversation:

Him: So, what about you? Are you married? Do you have any kids?
Me: Lord, no.
Him: So, what? Are you gay or something?
Me: (I just laughed)
Him: Well, are you?
Me: Yes.
Him: I KNEW IT!

In this case, it wasn't the rumor mill. Apparently, the earrings gave me away. But not having been forced to have that conversation with anyone in a long time, it felt kind of good to have it again.

A few others mentioned it later at the cocktail party that evening, but to my surprise, it turned out to be a non-issue. I even had some wonderful conversations with some classmates with whom I'd never really associated before. And it was quite nice to catch up with those with whom I had.

I know a lot of people blow off their 10-year reunions, but I'm glad I didn't. One classmate and I mentioned how small our old elementary school looked whenever you went back inside as an adult. I know now that the same thing will happen to those demons from the past.

With that greeting card moment behind me, I also lost two more contenders for a theme song during the trip: "I Get A Kick Out Of You" and (sob) "Move Your Feet."

7 comments:

Mike said...

I would, but I'd have to get through East Texas, including Jasper and Vidor, to do that. I might not survive that trip.

Swanny said...

i'm curious about the 5th grade teacher and i'm really pulling for "mt. zion."

kb. said...

It's good to hear that people were cool with your "earrings". I wanted to go but it just wasn't in the cards - do you have any digital pics to share?

Mike said...

No. I brought me camera and didn't take a single photo! Someone was taking photos, though, and those should be up online soon.

I did bring home a nasty bee sting!

And plm...the fifth grade teacher is married to a chemist. You know, those scary little molemen with poor social skills. Enough said.

Mike said...

And I wish I could edit my comments so my first sentence in the last one didn't have me talking like the Lucky Charms leprechaun.

Anonymous said...

It was sooooo wonderful to see you! I must have been out of the rumor mill that week while in high school. Hey - that is what small town life is all about right? Glad I'm not there anymore. Anywho - it is nice to live in a time where orientation is starting to matter less and less... The important thing is - you have always been a good person - - and above that == a wonderful friend! I'm already missing you! :o)

Jenny Hintze said...

Hey Mike, I'm reading up on a bit of your blog. This post is pretty funny. Well, they're all funny but since I graduated with you, I find this one particularly funny. I didn't go to the reunion because I'm kind of embarrassed of the idiot I was then and I don't care to be around people who "knew me then." Stupid, I know. Everyone was an idiot. Anyway, I'm glad for you that you got out of this weirdo town. It's home to me but it's certainly full of lots of good ol' southern fried stupidity.

And didn't we go to some dance together as a group? I don't remember which dance it was, thank God. Man, the games we play.