Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Iceland/Paris blogging: Part 4 -- Lesbian Paris

Having been to Paris several times before, there's not much to say as far as the touristy stuff goes.

I had gone to visit a close friend who has been working there for several months (and she's the one who shot the photo on the right, at Rue Cler near her apartment). My previous trips to Paris had been either whirlwind tours (Hey kids! Let's go visit the Louvre -- for 45 minutes, then back on the bus!) or not more than day trips, so it was nice to actually have some time there to concentrate on partying and eating.

So since I've already seen gay Paris, this time, I had the chance to see the Paris that Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas saw -- if they had liked dancing to Madonna, that is. I got to visit my first Parisian lesbian dance club, and even though they almost didn't let me in -- my friend, Kristina, had to explain that I was gay and not there to gawk -- the music was the best I'd ever heard in a lesbian bar. It wasn't that dreary mix of country and hip hop that seems to be common in most of the bars. It was actually music I could dance to -- and to which I could watch one poor, spastic girl give her best shot at dancing.

OK, so I did do a little touristy stuff. We climbed the Arc de Triomph for the first time, since I could write it off as exercise. Here we are at the top:

Yeah, I'm wearing the same clothes as in the first photo. That's because it was the same day, fool! Here's one final look at the Champs-Elysees from the top of the arc.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Oh, shut up, Mr. I Got To Live In Japan. ;-)