Friday, September 29, 2006

Iceland/Paris blogging: Part 5 -- Final thoughts

As I walk away from the subject of the trip -- another Kristina photo from the Champs-Elysees, this one that she so cleverly titled "can a diva strut" -- here are just a few closing observations:

1) There are very few morbidly obese people in Europe, and those you do see, odds are that they are American.

2) The Paris Metro comes by every few minutes and has a display showing the approximate time of the next train's arrival. Hello, New York? Catch up!

3) The president of Iceland was on my return flight, probably coming to the city for the UN festivities. That made me sad. Doesn't the poor guy have his own plane? Is there no Iceland Air Force One? I'll bet Bjork has a private jet.

4) Reykjavik nightlife might be hopping on the weekends, but it was certainly dead on the evening on Sept. 14, 2006. Had I gone to the cafe I wanted to visit, it would have been me and the bartender. Still, it was more exciting than Wilmington, Delaware's nightlife.

5) Travel tip: If you want to try the local Icelandic delicacy of reindeer, try not to do it on the night after a day-long horse ride. Trying to eat an animal very similar to the ones you've been bonding with all day is tough. I went vegetarian that night.

6) Travel tip II: If you want to try the local Icelandic delicacy of dried fish -- don't.

7) Travel tip III: If you want to bring pork sausage back from Paris for a friend, even if it's dried, don't declare it. I hope the customs official who snatched it from me enjoyed it.

8) I'll miss hearing the hold music -- an Icelandic version of "On The Street Where You Live" -- that Icelandair uses.

9) It's pointless to arrive three hours before a flight at Terminal 7 in JFK. The Durango, Colorado airport was more crowded than that terminal.

10) Paprika-flavored potato chips from Norway rock.

2 comments:

Puffy said...

Great journal and photos from your trip. Lucky you!

Mike said...

Hey, Puffy! Long time no see. :-) Thanks for stopping by.