Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Photagrafer grammer 101

One of the newspaper paradoxes I've noticed: The more skilled a photographer is at his/her craft, the more atrocious the cutlines will be that accompany the photo.

Witness the Daily News this morning. Now, the Daily News already writes its cutlines in Tarzan English, which drives me nuts. Today, however, a lovely then/now shot as part of a Hurricane Katrina retrospective was marred by a "were" where a "where" should have been.

The paradox also works the other way. At one newspaper job, a photographer shortage had us reporters required to take our own photos at some of the events we covered. Most of our resulting work would cause the editors to howl with laughter until they realized they had no usable shots to run with our story.

I did manage to eke out two centerpiece photos during that time. One was a toddler riding a mechanical bull at the county fair. The other was a woman pinning a clown nose on her 90-something-year-old mother. I'm still waiting on my Pulitzer for those.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were around 250 pounds on every site. But completely I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.