Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Happy Super (um, Duper) Tuesday!

I went back and forth several times, but I cast my vote this morning for Hillary Clinton. And, should Barack Obama ultimately pull it off, I'll have no problem supporting him in the general election.

This is the first time I've ever voted in a presidential primary where it actually mattered. I just missed the 1996 primary because I was too young, although I was old enough for the general election (not that the primary really mattered by the time it got to Texas, anyway). In 2000, I threw a vote to Bill Bradley, whom I really liked but was already long gone from the race. In 2004, there was a really tight race in my county for sheriff that was going to be decided in the Republican primary, so I held my nose and voted in the Republican primary, skipping the presidential section (and ardently stopping the election volunteers from stamping an "R" on my voter's registration).

With that behind me, I look forward to eating hummus and watching the returns tonight. I even switched a show ticket I had so I could be home for it. Isn't that incredibly dorky? If it's a bad night for the greased-up Wink Martindale clone, as I hope it is, it will all be worth it.

A side note: CNN was at my polling place this morning, but as they obviously were there to gauge Latino voter opinion, they paid me no attention.

7 comments:

Rebel Yankee said...

Congrats on voting! And making what I think was the right choice, too. :-)
Also: shocked that they ignored you. You ARE so very latin-looking.

Esther said...

I don't think it's dorky at all. Hope you've got some pita to go with the hummus!

Victor said...

Here in faraway Sydney Australia I am fascinated by the Democratic race. In addition, your voting system with all it's varieties has me mesmerised.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!
Thanks for sharing who you voted for. I don't understand the paranoia most people have about revealing who they voted for.

I, too, voted for Hill and I broke the little lever on the machine when I did it, too (not intentionally - our NYC voting machines are REAL old!) And I was proud to exit the little curtain and tell the little old lady manning the table that I broke Hillary's knob. It still works, but it's half of what it used to be!

Best,
Hector (from Second Stage Theatre)

Anonymous said...

Same here. Voted for Hil, but would be more than happy with Barack as well. And I sat home and ate my banana pudding from Magnolia. PS. Are you SURE you're not latino, your blog photo looks VERY latino -)

Mike said...

As it turns out, after talking with Eric yesterday, I might not have voted completely right, anyway! I didn't realize that I was supposed to vote for superdelegates in addition to Hillary. So, she got my vote, but I didn't help her on the superdelegate front. I should move to Florida!

Mike said...

Oops...I hit before finishing...but at least Hillary wins the TLG delegates. :-)