Tuesday, December 04, 2007

No touchbacks

Rats. Tagged again. As indicated in the comments in a previous post, I've once again been hit with the "seven weird facts" meme. Thanks a lot, Angela! Now, I'm not going to repost the rules or tag anyone else, even if it means seven years bad luck or that Ronald McDonald won't run across my screen and drop-kick the Taco Bell dog. But, since I've been blog negligent, I'll do it again as penance. Here were my last seven facts, in cast you missed them.

1. When I was four, my sister made me learn her twirling routine as she tried out for the drill team. The music was...gosh, I can't remember the name of the song. It was used in an 80s movie--I can't remember which one--and it had no lyrics. That song used in the SNL sketch about the male synchronized swimmers. Long story short, sis didn't make the team, thus ending my twirling career.

2. I learned to eat beans only a few years ago. For most of the rest of my life, I wouldn't touch them. This included almost every type of bean outside of soy.

3. Although I've been a pretty consistent blond in recent years, I used to dye my hair all sorts of colors. My favorite was red, which I did when I was in "Dancing at Lughnasa."

4. I mentioned this in a blog comment before, but presidential hopeful Ron Paul was my mother's obstetrician and was supposed to deliver me. I was several weeks early, however, so he was out of town when I was born. Paul was also my sister's obstetrician several years later and actually was on hand to deliver my nephew. When I was in the Cub Scouts, I also got to swim in Paul's swimming pool.

5. I can name all the books of the Bible to this day, thanks to an annoying summer church camp ditty from years ago. I have to hum the tune in my head as I do it, though. And I can't name the apocrypha. Not in order, at least.

6. I was supposed to have been a featured extra in the film "Powder," but an unpleasant high school principal blocked me from doing so with nasty threats.

7. My first major writing project was a book I wrote in the second grade about the digestive tract. It was from the point of view of a roast beef sandwich. You should've seen my illustrations, particularly the chyme with the smiley face on it.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Sorry! I didn't read your blog back then. Thanks for indulging me. :)

Mike said...

No problem. It gave me a forum to promote my book. :-)

Valerie said...

2. How could you grow up in southeast Texas without eating beans? No refried beens? No nachos? No burritos? No black beans? No chili with beans? You get my point. ;-)

4. Ha! He was my mom's obstetrician too, but he didn't deliver me either. Funny.

Mike said...

No, no, no, no and no, Valerie! :-) I wouldn't eat any of those things. Apparently, when I was a toddler, I loved refried beans, but then I somehow got it into my head that I didn't. Now, of course, I love them again.

Bizarrely enough, I've never been adverse to eating bean dip, even through my most adamant non-bean-eating phases!

Rebel Yankee said...

What the foo? Mike, my love my dear my sweetie, you do realize that uttering the name Ron Paul is going to bring the flock out in force on your website, proselytizing about the prophet Dr.

Anonymous said...

I know what song you're talking about, but I don't know the name of it, either.

Popcultureboy said...

Interesting you were nearly in Powder. I would say, given the ickyness of the director, you actually dodged a bullet.....