Monday, December 17, 2007

Gay dating in the styx, or lack thereof

In recent months, I’ve been playing around with one of the online matchmaking services. No, I’m not talking about Gay.com or Manhunt. Let’s just call it one of the less fickle dating services, one of those sites that makes you juggle toggle meters and write essays just to gain the right to even correspond with someone. I’ve met some interesting people through it, one even pretty close to what I’m looking for in an LTR, although just not quite enough to get me to give up my confirmed bachelorhood just yet.

My schedule as of late, however, has made me put it all on the back burner. Just last night, someone whom I had been chatting with and who seemed like he might have a little potential suddenly bumped me to the reject pile largely because, I presume, I’m so hard to nail down nowadays. Dropped before the first date even had a chance to happen! As I alluded to in an earlier post, if Mr. Right had come along at any point in mid-November, I would have had a window of maybe two or three days to fit in a single date with him by the end of the year.

As evidence, I’m putting up this very blog post from a hotel in Bethesda, Md., where I just arrived tonight and will be leaving tomorrow following a brief business meeting.

All this made me realize: Do you know when the last time was that I had an actual date? Try around Halloween.

So I’m wondering – is my not dating right now a neglectful act? If it were all work causing this, it would be a no-brainer, but a lot of this hectic schedule is stuff I truly enjoy doing: traveling, seeing shows, visiting family and, of course, the chorus. And those two or three days I had in that dating window I really needed to fuel the introverted side of my personality. It's not as if I feel like I'm missing anything -- until people tell me that I am, that is.

Honestly, I’d rather not try to date if I don’t have the time to properly cultivate a good relationship should it come along. Self-centered? Perhaps. But I never jump into relationships quickly, and I’d rather not waste time spinning my wheels if it means cutting time out of things I enjoy doing. My usual philosophy on dating has been to give anyone a shot or two, even if they don’t seem my type, just to see what happens. But now, consider my bar officially raised. Or at least mounted. I just can’t decide if this is a mature or immature decision at this point.

And besides, that one guy who just sent me his “relationship essentials” is kind of cute.

6 comments:

S said...

Dating is so overrated, like marriage.

Try the priesthood. I hear there are lots of vacancies and there's always plenty of hot men around (just stay away from the boys).

Yenta Center said...

I know what you mean.... this yenta needs a yenta.

I'm just lucky I have a hot date tomorrow night ;-)

Mike said...

Hey, me too! :-)

Rebel Yankee said...

Meh. Without being too dramatic about it, I do hate people who act like you're obviously lesser because you don't "have anybody to love."
I mean, yes, I am in a relationship and it often does its own maneuvers to keep my life focused elsewhere...but isn't that just the flip side of single life? You're doing things you love! What's wrong with that? If you are looking for a relationship, then I hope you find one. Whatever the case, I most of all just hope you're happy with life the way it is right now.
We can always imagine our lives being a little better, but that doesn't necessarily include a significant other.
That said, you're a catch and guys are dicks if they haven't figured that out yet. :-)

Angela said...

Broke up with the last boyfriend on 10/09. Haven't had a date since.

Anonymous said...

builder ephemeral arrogance golan needing neil urinals goldberg negotiable posing detract
semelokertes marchimundui