Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The smutty professor

In a blink-and-you-missed scandal, Jerry Lewis used the word "fag" in an aborted joke in a late-hour segment of his annual telethon (specifically, he called either an invisible person or a camera an "illiterate fag," but the clip was rather baffling). He subsequently issued an apology, and that seemed to be the end of it. And honestly, that's fine with me.

So why was I not as forgiving with Ann Coulter and Isaiah Washington when they used the word to a much broader outcry? It's not because I'm particularly a fan of Lewis. He was fine but not outstanding in a production of "Damn Yankees" I saw years ago, but his movies have always annoyed the hell out of me. But every once in a while, I let the "leave the poor old man alone" defense stand.

Perhaps this is because of my grandmother. Gaga, as we called her (thanks to my oldest sister), died more than 11 years ago, but she was the only grandparent I ever really knew. She was already in her 60s and somewhat feeble by the time I was born, but I always knew she was a powerful woman. Her husband, my mother's father, was a rather rough man by the limited accounts I've heard, and he died when my mother was only 12, leaving my grandmother to raise her daughter alone. She didn't run to another man. She worked and raised my mother on her own, which was pretty darn good for rural Texas in the early 1950s.

Gaga, however, was a product of her time and place, and in matters of race, would often say some jaw-droppingly awful things in that regard. Loudly. In public. Sometimes it was unintentionally funny. She used to call her cleaning lady her "colored girl." Near the end of her life, when she had to move in with my parents, she also referred to our cleaning lady as my mother's "colored girl." And my mother's maid was white.

Even the worst things she said, however, were not hateful at the core. Just ignorant. I never saw her treat anyone badly. In fact -- and I hope this doesn't sound like one of those "some of my best friends" comments, because that's not what I'm intending -- her physical therapist near the end of her life was black, and they became close enough to the point that she wept when she heard my grandmother had died.

Maybe that's why I'm fairly forgiving of Lewis. He's a goofy old man raised on Friar's Club roasts and smoky backrooms. He's said stupid things before, like saying that no female comedienne -- is that redundant? -- has ever been funny. But I don't think he's hateful.

Coulter had a long line of horrible comments behind her -- things like saying she had gay friends, but she knew they were going to hell and such -- when she said faggot, and she was proud of her remark. Washington hemmed, hawed, apologized, backtracked and went all over the map afterward. Lewis quickly admitted he was wrong and apologized. Good for him.

But I'm still turning off the TV any time "Cinderfella" comes on.

5 comments:

S said...

Do you have to be old and feeble to be ignorant, or is ageism not a factor?

Mike said...

Oh, certainly not. I'm just saying that people of other generations and mores deserve a little leeway. Kind of like that person in college who thinks they've found some delicious irony in Plato because of something happening with a slave when actually they're just trying to read modern morality into antiquity, which never works.

Rebel Yankee said...

Yeah, I'm waffly on this issue as well...I mean part of the propagation of "them vs. us" racism is precisely the actions of the generation before us.
With the exact wrong turn, I could have turned out just like my family...I've been bloviating about it to anyone who will listen, but a family member and I got into it about the Jena Six and I was told, "well, them n***ers got what they deserved. That tree wasn't their place."
This is in 2007. In Louisiana. It's alive and well and bred so deeply in the bones that it's being passed on to many of the next generations.

Mike said...

See, my grandmother never would have said that, I don't think. I have other relatives who probably would, but her racism was more along the lines of "Wow, don't the black ladies act silly whenever they win on 'The Price is Right"?" It was offensive, but not hateful.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people who make sure their words are as PC as possible. But sometimes these are the same ones who might -- in a job-hiring situation, for example -- be the first ones to hire a white person over a black person every time. They're careful not to sound racist, but they really are.

So I guess you can't always judge on person just on how they talk.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...it seems to me that celebrities of late have adopted that old grade school playground strategy called "just kidding" in which I tell you you're fat, and then roll my eyes with disgust at your reaction and say "Duh, I was just kidding."

With a deftly drafted press release apology, a person can say what they really mean, do the damage they intended to do, and then say "Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings," and be forgiven.

My take on the Jerry Lewis/Isaiah Washington/Ann Coulter slur is that if they didn't mean "fag," they would have said "jerk."